You might be wondering what exactly native plants are. Most scholars classify native plants as plants that were here prior to European settlement in North America.
Native plants are wonderful for many reasons, including:
- They have adapted to our climate, thus they usually require less maintenance.
- They are extremely beneficial to pollinators and other wildlife.
- They exist as part of the complex web of life and ecosystem of a given area.
We are excited to announce that our group will be selling native plants a fourth year in a row as an Invasive Free Grow Native Member! For more information on that program, follow this link: http://growindiananatives.org/
Here is our current lineup of sales for 2021:
- Spirit of Vincennes Rendezvous – May 29 from 9 am to 6:00 pm & May 30 from 10 am to 5:00 pm
- Plant list for the Rendezvous here
- Vincennes Farmer’s Markets – Throughout June and July, specific dates TBD
- Knox County Nature Days – July 31st
We will have over 50 different native species for sale, including wildflowers, grasses, shrubs, and vines. The draft 2021 plant list is here.* Stock availability is subject to change.
*Note: we will not be able to bring every species to every sale. We will try to keep that information up to date for each sale, but if you are interested in a specific species, please contact us ahead of time.
This year we will also have native plant bundles available. Want to take the guessing work out of grouping native plants together for specific area or outcome? Then these bundles are for you! Find a copy of a brochure with the bundles here.
We have been working on a native plant resource guide for some of the species we have for sale! We will have hard copies available to browse at our sales, but you can find an electronic copy here.
In addition, the CISMA has started a native plant garden grant for local, nonprofit or public organization in Knox County. For more information, check out this informational sheet here. You can see native plant garden locations around the county in the map below.
Map of Native Plant Gardens in Knox County
For more information, contact Will Drews at email@example.com
Back to CISMA Homepage.