You might be wondering what exactly native plants are. Most scholars classify native plants as plants that were here prior to European settlement in North America.
Native plants are wonderful for many reasons, including:
- They have adapted to our climate, thus they usually require less maintenance.
- They are extremely beneficial to pollinators and other wildlife.
- They are not invasive (like some exotic plants sold in nurseries and used in landscape), so they will not be detrimental to human health, environmental quality, and to the economy.
We are excited to announce that our group will be selling native plants a second year in a row as an Invasive Free Grow Native Member! For more information on that program, follow this link: http://growindiananatives.org/
Here is our current lineup of sales for 2018:
- Spirit of Vincennes Rendezvous – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm May 26th and 10:00 am to 5:00 pm May 27th
- Plant list for Rendezvous sale can be found here.
- Vincennes Farmer’s Market – June 9th
- Plant list for sale can be found here.
- Vincennes Farmer’s Market – June 23rd
- Knox County Fair – July 16th through July 21st
- Knox County Nature Days – July 28th
We will have around 50 different native species for sale, including wildflowers, grasses, shrubs, and vines. The full 2018 plant list is here.* Stock availability is subject to change.
*Note: we will not be able to bring every species to every sale. We will try to keep that information up to date for each sale, but if you are interested in a specific species, please contact us ahead of time.
In addition, the CISMA has started a native plant garden grant for local, nonprofit or public organization in Knox County. For more information, check out this informational sheet here.
For more information, contact Will Drews at firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to CISMA Homepage.